This page is updated regularly! If you know of something missing don’t hesitate to let me know.
- The Backdoor Guide to Short-Term Job Adventures – book and website.
- Cool Works – “Jobs in Great Places.”
- Craigslist – It is pretty much guaranteed you can find some job, somewhere, on Craigslist.
Work-Trade Travel Opportunities
Inexpensive Travel Opportunities
- Trusted House Sitters – A worldwide house-sitting network, for short and long term pet-sitting.
- Mind My House – Another worldwide house-sitting network, cheaper than Trusted House Sitters, but still good.
- CouchSurfing – Wherever you go, there is a couch waiting for you.
- AirBnB – A pricier version of Mind My House and CouchSurfing
- The Hospitality Club – Also similar to Couchsurfing
- Hostelling International
- Craigslist – Check out “Rideshare” under “Community” – it’s like safer, more formal hitchhiking.
Travel Information and Programs
- Unschool Adventures – trips typically aimed at ages 14-19, but if you’ve missed that slot, sometimes will have trips for young adults, and they will sometimes admit older students to their trips.
- World Initiative – A 2-year program starting in June 2014. Learn amazing skills and change the world.
- Lonely Planet – A wealth of travel information for those of us who want more than what most travel companies can provide. They also have books.
Cheap/Free Self-Ed Resources
- TED – “Riveting talks by remarkable people, free to the world.”
- Coursera – “An education company that partners with the top universities and organizations in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free.”
- MIT Open Courseware – SO many free college courses you can take online for free at any time!
- iTunes U – Free college lectures
- LiveMocha – A language-learning community
- Khan Academy – Another motherload of easy-to-learn information – free!
- The Free Library
- Course Hero – This and the Free Library are two awesome online databases full of information and resources on a wide variety of subjects
College Rebel Community, Conferences, Programs, etc.
- Zero Tuition College – A free and awesome online community of self-directed learners pursuing higher education their way
- Degreed: Create an online portfolio that showcases your traditional and non-traditional pursuits of education.
- Bold Academy – “Four weeks in Boulder this summer. 24 individuals ready to transform themselves and their worlds. An experience unlike any other, where critical life skills of years will be distilled into a single July.”
College Rebel Portfolio Examples
- Singer/Songwriter Carsie Blanton
- Web Developer “Clever Chris”
- Multimedia Communications Specialist Allen Ellis
- Birth Doula Tara Dean
- Elayna Ruth Photography
- Expert Knitter Madeline
Similar to College Rebellion
- Blake Boles dot com
- Abacus Education Journal
- What to Do Instead of School
- I’m Unschooled. Yes, I Can Write.
- Student Liberation Project
Alphabetical Archive of “Rethinking College” Articles
- 8 Steps to Getting What You Want… Without Formal Credentials
- 11 Great Reasons to Skip College (and Build Your Own Alternative)
- 50 Best Blogs in the Unschooling Movement
- The Future of Hiring
- High School Years: College Prep or Life Prep?
- STAND OUT OR GET OUT: How to escape mediocrity and do the work you love
- Student Loan Debt, With Little to Show for It
- Why Americans are in Desperate Need of a Gap Year
- Why Do So Many Americans Drop Out of College?
- Why Your College Degree Doesn’t Mean Sh**